Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can I make a partial payment of my taxes or my traffic fines?

A: Yes, partial payments are accepted. Partial payments must be at least $10. Partial payments of property taxes will be applied to the oldest year with taxes due not in bankruptcy or under appeal.

Q: I made a payment but when I looked in the system later, my balance due was still the same as before and my payment was not reflected.

A: For property taxes, payments will be reflected on this site after 3 business days. Traffic payments will be reflected immediately after successfully processing the credit card transaction.

Q: How can I see a payment for a particular tax year?

A: Simply click on lookup property tax payment history; then click on the tax year in question and the payment history for that year will be displayed.

Q: Can I print my payment history? I don’t see that option when I display my payment history.

A: Click on the “Print” button on the top right hand corner of the payment history page.

Q: I looked up my tax information and I noticed some of the information about me is incorrect. How can I get this corrected?

A: Name and address corrections can be made by mail to the Shelby County Assessors’ Office, 1075 Mullins Station Road, Memphis, TN 38134, Phone: 901-222-7001.

Q: Where can I mail my property tax payment?

A: Property tax payments can be mailed to the City Treasurer, 125 N. Main Room 375, Memphis, TN 38103.

Q: My payment history is incorrect.

A: Contact the City Tax Line at 522-1111.

Q: How much are late fees?

A: Real Estate, Personal and State Assessed Property have a 1 ½% interest added the first of each month on the unpaid tax balance after the delinquency date. CBID assessments have a 1% interest and 1% penalty added the first of each month on the unpaid assessment balance after the delinquency date.

Q: What is CBID or SAP?

A: CBID is an assessment placed on property in the Central Business Improvement District. SAP is a tax imposed by the Tennessee Office of State Assessed Property.

Q: I am no longer in business, but you still show a Personal Property tax.

A: Personal Property tax is levied on the assessment of tangible property used in a business as of January 1st of each year. If a business is in operation on January 1, Personal Property tax is owed for the full year. To officially close a business, the owner must contact the County Clerk's office at 901-222-3000.

Q: I made a credit card or an electronic check payment and I want to cancel that payment. How do I do that?

A: If you wish to cancel a traffic ticket payment, please contact the City Court Clerk’s information line at (901) 545-5450 between the hours of 8 AM and 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday . If you made a property tax payment with an e- check, you must contact your bank to cancel the payment. If you made a property tax payment with a credit or debit card contact the payment vendor at 800-268-9153.

Q: Can I make a payment via telephone?

A: For property tax payment, call (901) 636-7200.

Q: I’m having problems connecting to the web site and it appears to be related to my browser. Is there a minimum release level of a browser to use this site?

A: Yes. To use this site you must be running either Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or higher or Netscape 6.0 or higher.